links and reference material
- DEFRA common land information www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/issues/common/index.htm
- DEFRA homepage www.defra.gov.uk
- English nature www.english-nature.org.uk
- Foundation for Common Land : www.foundationforcommonland.org.uk
- HEFTING IN PRACTICE by Edward Hart, he can be contacted by telephone or fax at 01584 873491 the book costs five pounds.
- THE HEFTED FARMER by Susan Hayward/Barbara Crossley, costs ten pounds, the profits from this book are used to promote and sustain the hefted Swaledale Sheep and hill farming.
- THE FARM by Richard Benson, costs eight pounds ninety nine, this is about the demise of the farm where the author was born and brought up before going off to become a journalist and returning just as the farm was about to go under the hammer. non-fiction.
- THE CRAZY WORLD OF FARMING by Harry Harper, published by him at The Stable, Common Gate, Low Moresby, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA26 6RX, price unknown. Harry Harper regularly contributes articles on farming for the Whiteheaven News. The book starts as a kind of diary with the outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease in 2001.
- THE HILL FARMER, by Neville Turner, published by Dalesman Press, the author was a vet in Teesdale who went about his daily business, accompanied by his trusty camera